(Hong Kong, 10 Aug 2023) Sanctioned by Badminton World Federation (BWF) and hosted by Hong Kong Badminton Association (HKBA), the 6-day “VICTOR Hong Kong Open Badminton Championships 2023 part of the HSBC BWF World Tour Super 500” will be held during 12 to 17 September at the Hong Kong Coliseum.
This year’s VICTOR Hong Kong Open Championships, a mega sports event in Hong Kong which has been suspended for three years, is the first time to have VICTOR, a professional brand in the sport of badminton, serve as its Title Sponsor. It is one of the stops of the HSBC BWF World Tour Super 500 with a total grand prize money of US$420,000 which is the highest ever in Hong Kong. The “VICTOR Hong Kong Open Badminton Championships 2023 part of the HSBC BWF World Tour Super 500” is proud of being an “M” Mark event that helps enhance the image of Hong Kong as Asia’s sports event capital. The “M” Mark awarded by the Major Sports Events Committee, symbolising intense, spectacular and signature event in the territory sports calendar.
Dr. TONG Yun Kai, SBS, MBE, DBA, President of HKBA indicated that there is a total of 364 participants from 33 countries/regions enrolled for the tournament and according to the regulations of the World Tour, 276 participants from 26 countries/regions are qualified to enter which include 28 players from China, 29 from Indonesia, 36 from Chinese Taipei, 37 from Japan, 11 from Thailand, and 32 from Malaysia etc.
Participating stars include:
- Men’s Singles: 2020 Tokyo Olympic Gold Medalist Viktor Axelsen (Denmark), Bronze Medalist Anthony Ginting (Indonesia)
- Women’s Singles: 2020 Tokyo Olympic Silver Medalist Tai Tzu Ying (Chinese Taipei), World Ranking number one Akane Yamaguchi (Japan), Gold Medalist of World University Games recently held at Chengdu Han Yue (China)
- Men’s Doubles: 2020 Tokyo Olympic Gold Medalists Lee Yang/Wang Chi-Lin (Chinese Taipei), World Ranking number one Fajar Alfian/Muhammad Ardianto (Indonesia)
- Women’s Doubles: World Ranking number four Mayu Matsumoto/Wakana Nagahara (Japan)
- Mixed Doubles: World Ranking number two Yuta Watanabe/Arisa Higashino (Japan)
Dr. TONG Yun Kai, President of HKBA presented a speech
This year, the Hong Kong Badminton Team will continue to send all their elite players to participate, including Men’s Singles Ng Ka Long, 2019 HK Open Men’s Singles Champion Lee Cheuk Yiu, Mixed Doubles Tang Chun Man/Tse Ying Suet, Lee Chun Hei/Ng Tsz Yau, Women’s Doubles Yeung Nga Ting/Yeung Pui Lam, Ng Wing Yung/Lui Lok Lok, Ng Tsz Yau/Tsang Hiu Yan, Fan Ka Yan/Yau Mau Ying etc, amounting to a total of 13 players. A tournament with such fierce competition among so many elite players will surely bring lots of excitement.
Tickets are available from 15 August 2023 at URBTIX website. Sales are not available on the first day at URBTIX’s outlets nor self-service ticketing kiosks. Entry tickets to qualifying rounds and round of 32 for Men’s Doubles and Women’s Doubles on Tuesday, 12 September, are free for distribution. Interested parties can send self-addressed envelope with stamp $2.2 to the HKBA office. Four tickets will be distributed for each person while tickets are available. Details of the tournament can be browsed at the Victor Hong Kong Open webpage: